Printfriendly

Monday 12 September 2016

UKCPS scam

http://www.diaryofanadi.co.uk/?p=15193

This blog post details a scam run by UKCPS whereby they send out parking charge notices even though the motorist has paid the correct amount.

If the victim is suckered by the scam, UKCPS end up £60-£100 richer. If the victim fights back, UKCPS cancel the charge.

Prankster Note

Anyone taken in by this scam can write to UKCPS asking for their money back. If UKCPS refuse, then the victim can send a letter before claim, and then file a claim in the small claim courts. This can be done up to 6 years after the payment.

As this appears to be a scam, then UKCPS had no right to demand keeper data from the DVLA in the first place. UKCPS can ask for keeper data from the DVLA but only when a charge has legitimately been incurred. If they are making up charges, or if they are issuing charges because their systems are being run incompetently then they have no rights to ask for your data. In those cases, then UKCPS will likely have misused your personal data to issue the parking charge.

The recent court case of Vidal-Hall v Google Inc  [2014] EWHC 13 (QB) established that misuse of personal data is a tort and damages might not be limited to costs incurred.

A claim of say, £250 for misuse of personal data would cost £25 to file, and would have to be filed within 6 years of the date the data was last misused.

Happy Parking

The Parking Prankster

7 comments:

  1. As a point of principle I will not visit stores who employ parking Co's.
    The day that my local Morrison's put up Parkingeye signs was the last day that I shopped there.
    So I was delighted when I found that CEL had been turfed out of Hathaway Park, Chippenham, Wilts, this meant I could have a look round Homebase and Halfords and my wife could waste her money on overpriced tat in Laura Ashley ,( The only store I know where the sale is permanent)
    But, I wanted to go to Homebase a few days ago and found that UKCPS had moved in.
    Obviously I left rapidly and went to B and Q.
    I did ,however,look at the signs and I have rarely seen so much copy packed into a small space, the charge being hidden at the bottom in tiny letters.
    A definite fail on the Beavis test.
    I will find out who runs Hathaway Park and ask why they have replaced a disreputable company with even greater rogues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you write to the retailer(s) to tell them why you did a 180°?

      Delete
  2. "and my wife could waste her money on overpriced tat in Laura Ashley ,( The only store I know where the sale is permanent)"

    Never heard of DFS? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but they don't sell overpriced clothes and wallpaper. I take the view that it is her money and she can spend it how she wants so long as it does not go to parking scum

      Delete
    2. Yes, but they don't sell overpriced clothes and wallpaper. I take the view that it is her money and she can spend it how she wants so long as it does not go to parking scum

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry, but everyone knows that the DFS Sale MUST end this Sunday!!

      Delete
    4. I'm sorry, but everyone knows that the DFS Sale MUST end this Sunday!!

      Delete